While the idea of calzones may not top your list of things to get hyped about, that hardly means calzones are not delicious.
As previously griped about, Eater readers had only three calzone recs to share, but no matter - we happen to have two of our own we quite like. So without further ado, here's a tidy list of five calzones you should give a chance.
· Pizzeria Vetri. There might be too many other good things on this menu to dive directly for a calzone, but if you're going to eat a calzone, you could do a lot worse than a Vetri calzone. ($16)
· Slice. The recommendation for Slice's calzones initially came from a reader, but if you're unsure which way to go, Zagat Philly had good things to say about the new sausage and pepper version. ($12.95)
· Mama Palma's. A reader gave a strong recommendation for this brick-oven neighborhood favorite, with no particular favorite as far as variety goes. Guess we'll have to try them all, then. ($9.50-$11)
· Gusto. A reader shouts out the buffalo chicken version, which is apparently "bozonkers." ($9)
· Gennaro's Tomato Pie. The menu here is pretty much: red pie, white pie, salads, and this calzone, loaded with mozzarella, ricotta, and a couple of toppings of your choosing. So just get one of everything. ($12)