The 2018 midterm elections are here. Election Day is Tuesday, November 6, and there are plenty of reasons to head to the polls, with both governor and senator seats up for grabs in Pennsylvania. In addition, Pennsylvania was recently redistricted, so voters may find themselves in a different congressional district than in past years. Looking for information on where, when, or how to vote? Our friends at Curbed Philly break it down here. Looking for Election Day food deals? That’s where Eater Philly comes in.
As per tradition, Philadelphia bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and bakeries are offering specials on Election Day to people who show their “I Voted” stickers. While encouraging people to vote by rewarding them with freebies or discounts when federal candidates are on the ballot is technically illegal, restaurants — from local cafes to national chains — do it anyway. Some restaurants play it extra safe by offering specials to everyone on Election Day, sticker or not.
Spotted an Election Day special not on this list? Let us know and we’ll add it. Note that these specials are limited to one per person.
- From 5 p.m. to midnight on Election Day, Talk, the new restaurant from the Marigold Kitchen team at 2121 Walnut Street, is giving away a glass of Vinho Verde to anyone with an “I Voted” sticker.
- Fishtown’s Cake Life Bake Shop (1306 Frankford Avenue) is giving away one patriotically decorated sugar cookie to anyone with an “I Voted” sticker.
- In Rittenhouse, Italian restaurant and gelateria Gran Caffè L’Aquila (1716 Chestnut Street) is whipping up an election-themed gelato named the I Voted, which tastes like apple pie and milk chocolate. Show an “I Voted” sticker to get a free cup of it.
- Coffee shop Saxbys is giving away a medium hot coffee, a medium cold brew, or a medium Groothie smoothie (it’s vegan) to anyone who comes in on Election Day, at all locations.
- On Washington Square, Sedition (727 Walnut Street) is offering a free draft beer or a $5 themed cocktail to anyone with an “I Voted” sticker.
- Good Dog Bar at 224 S. 15th Street kicks off its new Tuesday bar special, dubbed “Treat Yo Self Tuesday,” on Election Day, with $3 mixed drinks featuring locally made Keystone Rail spirits.
- Verde, the home goods and jewelry shop from Marcie Turney and Valerie Safran of Barbuzzo, will offer a free mini-sized to-go version of Barbuzzo’s famed salted caramel budino to anyone who shows their “I Voted” sticker, while supplies last (and don’t expect them to last too long — the budino is a Philly favorite). Verde is at 108 S. 13th Street.
- Clothing store Kin Boutique at 1014 Pine Street plans to set out free made-in-Pennsylvania snacks for shoppers, including Hershey’s candy, Herr’s chips, Victory Brewing Company beer, and Penns Woods Winery wine.
- At Ben & Jerry’s in Rittenhouse (1726 Sansom Street), your “I Voted” sticker gets you a free scoop of ice cream.
- The original Cafe Lift at 428 N. 13th Street is giving away a to-go coffee for anyone with an “I Voted” sticker. The new Cafe Lift in Narberth (724 Montgomery Avenue) is taking it to the next level: You can get a free to-go coffee with an “I Voted” sticker or, if you’re eating there, you can add a free shot of whiskey to your coffee.
- Pizzeria Vetri, Amis, and Bar Amis are all offering a $5 draft beer to anyone who shows an “I Voted” sticker.
- The new Sergeant York at 2327 E. York Street is giving away two hushpuppies to voters who also buy something else off the menu, food or drink.
- Show your “I Voted” sticker at Las Bugambilias at 148 South Street to score a free margarita.
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop is giving a free cookie with any purchase for customers who show an “I Voted” sticker on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- At Shake Shack, which has multiple locations in Philly, get a free order of fries with any purchase when you show your “I Voted” sticker. If you’re using the Shake Shack app, include the fries in your order and enter the code “ivoted.”
- The League of Women Voters will be at the new Green Soul (1410 Mt. Vernon Street), which is offering buy one, get one drinks from 4-7 p.m.
- Fox & Son Fancy Corndogs, located at Reading Terminal Market, is offering 25-percent off the total check to anyone with an “I Voted” sticker.
- At Old City’s Plough & the Stars (123 Chestnut Street), get one drink 50-percent off when you show your “I Voted” sticker and mention that you saw the discount on Facebook.
- Show your “I Voted” sticker at Catahoula at 775 S. Front Street, buy a beer (and mention that you saw the special on Facebook), and get your second beer free.
- Porta at 1216 Chestnut Street is going big: Show your “I Voted” sticker and get a free margarita pizza.