Excluding Eater Philly’s maps, such as the ever-popular Eater 38, and frequently updated lists, like the roundup of restaurants coming soon or closing, here are the 10 most-read stories on the site over this past year.
1. Franklin’s Table: The Ultimate Guide to Philly’s New Food Hall
If three makes a trend, the food hall trend officially landed in Philly in 2018, with the opening of Franklin’s Table in University City and the Bourse in Old City (following the Chinatown Square opening last year). Set on Penn’s campus but open to the public, Franklin’s Table includes local favorites Goldie, High Street Provisions (an offshoot of High Street on Market) and DK Sushi (an offshoot of Double Knot).
2. Where to Eat at Philadelphia International Airport
Was everyone heading into Philly or out of it? Either way, this guide to dining options at PHL came in handy.
3. Where to Eat at Citizens Bank Park, Home of the Phillies
Half the fun of going to a ballgame is chowing down on cheesesteaks, hot dogs, and hoagies, right? This year Harry the K’s added a vegan version of the cheesesteak, the Backyard Bar opened with frozen cocktails, and P.J. Whelihan’s set up shop.
4. Rooftop Restaurant Attico Is All About the Views
Rooftop bars in Center City are a rarity, and readers wanted all the details on this new spot at the Cambria hotel on Broad Street.
5. South Philly Barbacoa Has a New Home in the Italian Market
South Philly Barbacoa was well-loved in Philly (and beyond) long before Chef’s Table arrived in 2018 to do an episode on the Mexican restaurant and owners Cristina Martinez and Ben Miller. Eater Philly named Martinez the 2018 Chef of the Year in the Eater Awards.
6. Where to Eat at Reading Terminal Market
Philly’s original food hall, Reading Terminal Market, turned 125 this year and, with 80-some vendors to choose from, readers wanted to know where to go first.
7. The 13 Most Anticipated Restaurants in Philadelphia, Fall 2018
This peek at the most exciting restaurants slated to open in the fall was an easy way to keep track of everything Philly has to look forward to in the restaurant scene.
8. Here Are All the Vendors Open at the Bourse Food Hall So Far
With almost 30 places to grab a bite or a drink, the highly anticipated food hall inside the historic Bourse building in Old City rolled out openings in phases. Readers wanted to know what opened first.
9. The Biggest Wawa Ever Opens Friday With a Parade
What, your city doesn’t celebrate convenience store openings with a parade of mascots, a Thomas Jefferson impersonator, a rousing rendition of the Rocky theme song, and cheering fans?
10. Pat’s Now Delivers Cheesesteaks Nationwide
It’s comforting to know if you ever leave Philly, you can still get a cheesesteak delivered.