Happy spring! It’s back to icy temps in Philadelphia, but restaurants and bars are here to warm everyone up. The snow is expected to continue all day and into the night. So far it looks like most places are staying open, but it’s a good idea to check first as the “winter weather” continues.
The best way to stay on top of which restaurants are still serving and which plan to close early during the snowstorm is by searching for the hashtag #OpenInPHL on Twitter or on Instagram. That’s where restaurants let it be known they’re up and running and, sometimes, offering snow day deals, like these going on now:
- Wines are 25-percent off tonight at Veda (1920 Chestnut Street).
- SouthGate (1801 Lombard Street) is serving a Soojungwa Hot Toddy for $7. For $12, get a beer and a burger or a plate of Korean fried chicken wings.
- Both locations of Luke’s Lobster — the original at 130 S. 17th Street and the newer seafood shop at 17 S. 11th Street — are offering a free small clam chowder when you buy a lobster, crab, or shrimp roll.
- New Wave Cafe (784 S. 3rd Street) has half-priced bottles of wine all day and $7 mussels.
- Pub & Kitchen (1946 Lombard Street) is serving a sazerac hot cocoa with toasted marshmallows for $10.
- At Silence DoGood’s (216 Market Street), pints of Victory’s Winter Cheers are $4. There’s also the Silence Cider (apple cider and whiskey topped with whipped cream) and the Some Like It Hot (hot cocoa and tequila topped with whipped cream), each $5.
- Drury Sleigh Rides (hot cocoa, white crème de menthe, and Ryan’s Irish Cream) are $5 at McGillin’s (1310 Drury Street).
- Scarpetta (210 W. Rittenhouse Square) is mixing up the Philly Winter Special cocktail with Knob Creek Rye, Averna Amaro, Yellow Chartreuse, Peychaud’s Bitters and a lemon twist for $7.
This is also an excellent day to eat and drink cozied up next to a fireplace. It’s not, however, a good day to head to one of these closed restaurants:
- Reading Terminal Market (51 N. 12th Street) is closed for the day. But you can read about what to eat when it’s back open tomorrow here.
- Vedge (1221 Locust Street), V Street (126 S. 19th Street) , and Wiz Kid (124 S. 19th Street) are closed (Wiz Kid closed at 3 p.m.).
- Also closed: Le Virtu (1927 E. Passyunk Avenue).
- Jim’s Steaks (400 South Street) is closing at 4 p.m.
- Hop Sing Laundromat (1029 Race Street) is closed so you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for a #FakeNews.
- All three locations of Tria are closed — that’s Tria Cafe at 123 S. 18th Street, Tria Cafe at 1137 Spruce Street, and Tria Taproom at 2005 Walnut Street.
- Love & Honey Fried Chicken (1100 N. Front Street) is closed.
- Bufad (1240 Spring Garden Street) is closed.
- At the new Franklin’s Table food hall (3401 Walnut Street), KQ Burger, the Kensington Quarters spin-off, and Goldie are closed.
- Cross Keys Cafe (101 S. 3rd Street) at the Museum of the American Revolution is closed (as is the museum).
Restaurants, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have something special going on during the storm, like drink discounts or spiked hot chocolate.
Look for updates here throughout the day. For those staying in and ordering delivery from one of these #OpenInPHL spots, make sure to give a generous tip to the people braving the snow and ice to bring you food.
The taproom is #OpenInPHL normal hours today, stay tuned for updates. If you will be joining us, travel safe. FYI @SEPTA Market-Frankford line drops off just a few blocks away. #YARDS #BrewUntoOthers pic.twitter.com/pAoFU0WMss— Yards Brewing Co. (@yardsbrew) March 21, 2018
SNOW DAY = BRUNCH DAY!— On Point Bistro (@OnPointBistro) March 21, 2018
50 cents of every cup of @LaColombeCoffee sold TODAY will be donated to @NICEPhilly.
Our very own, Mallory Lopez (@FixMallory) & NICE board member will be in the house to answer any questions about NICE. #openinphl #snowdaybrunch #Philly #onpointbistro pic.twitter.com/H1p08rNl9F
#OpeninPHL for lunch, dinner, beer, all the important stuff— Good Dog Bar (@gooddogbar) March 20, 2018
More snow? Bring it on! We're ready @McGillins! It's always cozy at Philly's oldest bar with 30 beers on tap, a roaring fire and homemade soup (free with every lunch). Now matter what Mother Nature brings, we'll be #openinphl pic.twitter.com/kIisu5G3YK— McGillin's (@McGillins) March 20, 2018
It might be the first day of Spring but it sure doesn't feel like it with this weather! Dream about warmer days with a few $2 off specialty cocktails here @ #CommonWealthPHL after 5pm. View our selection of both classic & specialty cocktails: https://t.co/5GUeIOtcxY #OpenInPHL— Common Wealth (@CommonWealthPHL) March 20, 2018
Snow on the first day of spring? Fine, but we're still drinking rosé. And we're discounting it today and tomorrow beginning at 4 p.m., because LA LA LA LA WHAT NOR'EASTER WE CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA #roseallday #openinphl pic.twitter.com/PfKUedHi0l— Tria (@TriaPhilly) March 20, 2018
There are two ways to warm up (see attached picture), and fortunately you can do both at #LuchaCartelPhilly! Soups, drink specials & warmth await you!— Lucha Cartel (@Luchacartel) March 20, 2018
The storm's a-brewing, stay safe Philly! As of right now, we are #OpenInPHL .. For our lunch Menu: https://t.co/CoCoxtSKG4 pic.twitter.com/B7YJFEfb27
tonight in da kitchen: RAD ASIAN MUNCHIES! Chef Josh Stair brings you his collection of mouth watering Asian bar munchies! VEGGIE FRIED RICE, CHEESE STEAK DUMPLINGS, BANH MI TACOS, TOGARASHI WIZ FRIES and more!! . #indakitchen #radasianmunchies #garagefishtown #allyourfriendsarehere #coldbeersrightheres #stillcrazyafterallthesebeers #nicestcansintown #fishtown #fishtown_philly #fishtownphilly #philly #philadelphia #phillypopup #phillyeats #phillyfood #tacos #wiz #fries #togarashi #openinphl
Another day, another nor’easter ♀️ ♀️❄️ Swing by, stock up, we’ll be here! #happyspring #snowday #stockup #openinphl Today’s Menu: . SOUPS- Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato (vg, gf) Mushroom Velouté (v) Winter Veggie Tortellini (v) Senegalese Chicken and Peanut Stew (df, gf) . SANDWICHES- Sesame Pork Sammie (df) Oven-Roasted Turkey Melt Tofu Banh Mi Wrap (vg) . GREEN SALAD- Local greens with garden veg and herby vinaigrette (vg, gf) . SIDE SALADS- Quinoa with Roasted Root Veggies (vg, gf) Truffled Mushroom Pasta (v) Ginger Miso Carrots (vg, gf) Grilled Local Beets (vg, gf) . HOUSE-BAKED GOODIES- Chocolate Chip Cookies Cinnamon Sugar cookies Classic Brownies (gf, df) Pao de queijo (gf) Focaccia Pizza (v) Italian Sausage, roasted potato and cheddar Hand Pies Peanut Butter Cupcakes (vg)