Philadelphia leans Democratic, and a group of local chefs are hoping to get the rest of the state to follow suit. Almost 40 chefs, restauranteurs, and distillers are signed on for the Blue Plate Special, a fundraiser for Democratic candidates in Southeastern Pennsylvania led by the PA Blue Victory Fund. It’s on for Monday, September 17, at the Franklin Institute (222 N. 20th Street), with Ed Rendell on board as “honorary executive chef.” He’ll be manning the slider station.
Steve Poses, co-founder of the PA Blue Victory Fund, is the longtime Philly chef who set up Frog restaurant and then catering company Frog Commissary in the 1970s — Frog is the Franklin Institute caterer.
Joining him at the Blue Plate Special fundraiser are Ellen Yin of Fork and High Street of Market, Scott Schroeder of Hungry Pigeon, Sam Mink of Oyster House, Aimee Olexy of Talula’s Garden and The Love, Sam Kincaid of Cadence, Stephanie Reitano of Capogiro, Chris Curtin of Eclat Chocolate, JonCarl Lachman of Noord, Luca Sena of Panorama, Andy Satinsky of Weckerly’s Ice Cream, and Heather Thomason of Primal Supply Meats, among others. Philadelphia Distilling Co. and La Colombe are bringing the drinks.
The goal of the event, which will include a rally and dancing along with the food, is to raise money for underfunded candidates in competitive races in Southeastern Pennsylvania and under-resourced grassroots projects, the organizers say.
Here are the Pennsylvania State Representative candidates planning to be there:
- Meredith Buck (144 Bucks County)
- Josh Camson (147 Montgomery County)
- Amy Cozze (173 Northampton County)
- Andrew Dixon (29 Bucks County)
- Danielle Friel Otten (155 Chester County)
- Pam Hacker (26 Montgomery/Chester County)
- Lauren Lareau (142 Bucks County)
- Doug Metcalfe (128 Berks/Lancaster County)
- Jennifer O’Mara (165 Delaware County)
- Jason Ruff (183 Lehigh/Northampton County)
- Kristen Seale (168 Delaware County)
- Melissa Shusterman (157 Chester County)
- Mike Zabel (163 Delaware County)
And here are the PA Senate candidates:
- Emily Best (30 Clair/Franklin County)
- Tina Davis (6 Bucks County)
- Katie Muth (26 Chester/Montgomery/Berks County)
- Mark Pinsley (26 Lehigh County)
- Lindia Sosniak (84 Lycoming/Union County)
Tickets are $150 (plus fees) for general admission, which gets you in at 7:30 p.m. VIP ticket holders ($250) can show up an hour earlier. Spend $500 for VVIP and get early access plus a meet and greet with the political candidates. The event is slated to run until 10 p.m.