As 2019 comes to a close, Eater Philly is taking a look back at the stories that captured readers’ attention the most over the past year. Setting aside the site’s maps and dining guides — from the essential 38 restaurants and the 25 most iconic dishes in Philly to where to eat at Citizens Bank Park or Reading Terminal Market — here are the 10 most-clicked-on news stories on Eater Philly in 2019. Spoiler: Cristina Martinez and Mike Solomonov should open a restaurant together.
1. The Lines at Angelo’s Pizzeria Are Ridiculous After a Barstool Sports Rave Review
For some reason people listen to Barstool Sports’ Dave Portnoy for pizza recommendations. When he raved about Angelo’s Pizzeria, the small South Philly takeout shop was slammed for days. (The pizza is very very good, as are the sandwiches. But still.)
2. Zahav Is the Best Restaurant in the Country at the 2019 James Beard Awards
If a restaurant in your city wins the coveted Outstanding Restaurant award at the annual James Beards — the Oscars of the food world — you’re going to want to read all about it.
3. Cristina Martinez Closes One of Her Restaurants
This late 2018 story about the closure of El Compadre had legs, thanks to the ongoing popularity of Mexican restaurant South Philly Barbacoa and chef Cristina Martinez.
4. Star Chef Mike Solomonov Is Opening Three New Restaurants in Philly
Mike Solomonov and Steve Cook already proved their hit-making abilities with Zahav, Federal Donuts, Goldie, Dizengoff, and Abe Fisher, so it was no wonder everyone wanted to know what was next. K’Far and Merkaz are open; Laser Wolf should be up and running early 2020.
5. The 12 Most Anticipated Restaurants in Philadelphia, Fall 2019
Rounding up the upcoming restaurants Eater is most excited about is always a fun task. Most of these are open but a few, including one from Marc Vetri, are still putting on the finishing touches.
6. Look Inside the Very Pink Blume, a New Cocktail Bar in Rittenhouse
Bar owner Teddy Sourias of Tradesman’s, Bru, U-Bahn, and holiday pop-ups Tinsel and Nightmare revamped his beer and cider bar Cinder into a flower-filled, pink-and-turquoise space just begging you to Instagram your cotton candy cocktail.
7. South Philly Barbacoa Has a New Home in the Italian Market
Cristina Martinez and Ben Miller’s barbacoa taco shop didn’t move far, but it was imperative everyone knew where to find it.
8. Victory Brewing Co. Plans a Giant Brewery With Three Bars and a Roof Deck in Philly
Rumors that the TGI Fridays on the Ben Franklin Parkway is closing had been floating around for a while, but the news that the Downingtown-based brewery is replacing it was a surprise.
9. How South Philly Barbacoa Gets Ready to Sell Thousands of Tacos in One Day
Eater took a behind-the-scenes look at how 2018 Chef of the Year Cristina Martinez and her team get ready for the weekend lines at South Philly Barbacoa.
10. Here Are All the Details on K’Far, Mike Solomonov’s New Rittenhouse Restaurant
A sneak peek at the unfinished space that would become K’Far, the Israeli restaurant from Mike Solomonov, Steve Cook, and executive chef Camille Cogswell, proved irresistible to readers.