A handful of Philly chefs and restaurants are in the running for 2019 James Beard Foundation Awards, the annual honors often called the Oscars of the restaurant world. Finalists for the awards were announced Wednesday.
All of the nominees are also on Eater Philly’s list of the city’s 38 essential restaurants.
Jesse Ito of Royal Sushi & Izakaya is nominated in the rising star chef category.
The winners will be revealed during an award ceremony Monday, May 6, in Chicago.
Here are the Philly finalists:
- Marc Vetri, Vetri Cucina, Philadelphia
- Zahav, Philadelphia
- Ellen Yin, High Street Hospitality Group, Philadelphia (Fork, High Street on Market, High Street on Hudson)
Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic
- Rich Landau, Vedge, Philadelphia
- Cristina Martinez, South Philly Barbacoa, Philadelphia
Rising Star Chef of the Year
- Jesse Ito, Royal Izakaya, Philadelphia
And here’s the full list of nominees across the country.