The James Beard Foundation has announced the semifinalist for the 2022 James Beard Awards, and Philadelphia-area restaurants and chefs have garnered 11 nominations total. James Beard awards are essentially the Oscars when it comes to food and dining, so just to make the long list is an honor.
Other Philadelphia semifinalists include:
- A.kitchen + Bar for Outstanding Wine Program
- Rhonda Saltzman and Mercedes Brooks of Second Daughter Baking Co. for Outstanding Baker
- Angela Cicala of Cicala at the Divine Lorraine for Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Laser Wolf for Best New Restaurant
- Amanda Shulman of Her Place Supper Club for Emerging Chef
- Friday Saturday Sunday for Outstanding Restaurant
- Ellen Yin of High Street Hospitality Group, which includes Fork, A.kitchen + Bar, High Street Philly, and others, for Outstanding Restaurateur
Here’s the complete list of semifinalists for restaurants, chefs, and restaurateurs.
The James Beard Foundation canceled its 2020 awards midseason and its 2021 awards amid an audit, following accusations of bias and lack of diversity. In the meantime, the foundation has sought to amend the shortcomings of previous years through policy changes and the creation of an independent ethics committee.
Disclosure: Some Vox Media staff members are part of the voting body for the James Beard Foundation Awards.